Black Eyed Peas with Chorizo
Like this post? Highlight any part of it and Tweet it or Share it!
- 1 1/2 cups Black Eyed Peas, soaked overnight (or two 15oz cans, rinsed)
- 3 cups water
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 2 onions, peeled and diced
- 5 garlic cloves, peeled and minced
- 1 tbsp. fresh oregano (1 tsp. dried oregano)
- 1 1/2 cups chicken stock (or water)
- 3-4 oz chorizo, diced (or turkey sausage)
- 1 1/2 tsp. sea salt
- Fresh black pepper
- 1 tbsp. fresh parsley, minced
Discard soaking water from black eyed peas. Add 3 cups fresh water and bring peas to a boil. Skim and discard foam that rises to the top. Add bay leaves, cover and simmer on low flame one hour. Add 1 tsp. sea salt and continue cooking 15-20 minutes or until beans soften. In a deep frying pan saute onion and garlic 2-3 minutes. Add cooked beans and bay leaves, chicken stock, oregano and chorizo. Season the dish with remaining sea salt (1/2 tsp.) and black pepper. Adjust to taste. Cover and cook on medium/low heat 15 minutes. Garnish with fresh parsley.