Gluten-Free Shrimp Bisque
- 1 pound medium shrimp, peeled and deveined (save shrimp shells to make fish stock)
- 1 tbsp. coconut oil
- 1 leek, both white and green, cleaned and diced
- 1 onion, peeled and diced
- 4-5 garlic cloves, peeled and diced
- 3 tsp. Old Bay Seasoning
- 1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper
- 1/2 cup Mirin rice cooking wine
- 1 can coconut milk or 1 cup organic cream or whole milk
- 3-4 cups fish stock or water
- 1/4 cup tomato paste (diluted in 1/4 cup water)
- 2 tbsp. butter
- 1/4 cup rice flour
- 1 tbsp. kuzu root starch (plus 2 tbsp. cold water)
- Cilantro, minced
In a soup pot saute leek, onion and garlic until translucent.
Add old bay seasoning, cayenne pepper, mirin, coconut milk, fish stock, and tomato paste.
Bring to a boil and simmer for 3-5 minutes.
Add peeled shrimp and cook until pink (2-3 minutes).
Remove vegetables and shrimp and pulse in a food processor.
Add pureed veggies and shrimp back into the soup.
In a separate sauce pan heat butter and flour together to make a rue.
Add rue (flour and butter mixture) the soup and combine well.
Dilute kuzu in water and add to the soup as well.
Bring heat to medium and cook 3-5 minutes.
Top soup with cilantro garnish.