Articles with 'duck fat'
- 3-4 large onions (Vidalia, yellow, white, or red), peeled and diced or sliced into half moons
- 1 tablespoon duck or chicken fat, olive oil, or butter
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and minced
- 1/3 cup Mirin rice cooking wine (or any sweet white wine)
- 5 cups duck stock or beef stock
- 1 tbsp. fresh thyme or 1 tsp. teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- Whole grain bread
- Grated Gruyere Cheese (or cheese of your choice)
In a skillet over low heat, sauté onions in duck fat for 10-15 minutes.
Stir the onions a few times to ensure they do not burn.
Add mirin and garlic, and continue cooking 15-20 minutes until onions caramelize and turn light brown. Do not let them burn.
Add stock, thyme, bay leaves, and sea salt, and bring to a boil.
Cover and reduce heat to medium-low for 15 minutes.
Adjust seasonings if needed. Remove and discard bay leaves before serving.
Sprinkle grated cheese on top of individual pieces of bread and place into a heated oven (375-400 degrees). Bake five minutes or until cheese melts.
Put one slice of cheesy bread in each bowl of soup.