Articles with 'fresh water'
- 1 cup dried kidney beans, soaked 6-8 hours or overnight
- 3 cups fresh water
- 2 inches kombu, sea vegetable
- 1 tsp. sea salt
- 1 cup fresh green beans, trimmed and cut into 2 inch pieces
- 2 summer squash, cut into 1 inch rounds
- 1 small red onion, peeled and diced
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes, halved
- 4-5 fresh basil leaves, thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp. white wine vinegar or other vinegar
- 1/8 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tbsp. local honey
- ¼ cup olive oil
Discard bean soaking water. Add beans and fresh water to a pot and bring to a boil. Skim off any foam that rises. Add kombu, cover and lower to simmer for 1 hour. Add ¾ tsp sea salt and continue cooking 15-30 minutes or until beans soften. While dried beans are cooking bring water to boil in a separate pot with a steamer basket. Steam green beans 3-5 minutes or until tender. Remove green beans and set aside in a bowl. Repeat with summer squash. Combine green beans, summer squash, cherry tomatoes, basil, and cooked beans. Whisk olive oil, apple cider vinegar, honey, pepper and remaining ¼ tsp sea salt. Combine with bean salad and marinate 1 hour or overnight in the refrigerator. Yields 4-6 servings.